Dear God, show us the road
that you have chosen for us,
and give us the courage
to walk down it... Amen

Friday, August 22, 2008

Clean on the outside...

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. -1 John 1:9

When I was a young wife, my husband brought home a new kitchen stove. A few days later, the man who bought our old stove gave me a humiliating lesson in cleanliness. He inspected every part, looking inside the oven and lifting each burner. Then he raised the top of the stove. To my dismay, a heavy layer of grease and crumbs coated the entire surface.

Later, a thought occurred to me: It wasn't only my old stove that was clean on the outside, but filthy within. My soul is sometimes in the same condition. I might appear self-controlled and kind in public, but when I became angry at home, my voice rose in anger, aiming hurtful words at my family. Judgmental of others' behavior, I was tempted to behave the same. I often harbored unfriendly thoughts, and I could hold on to a grudge.

But a sinful soul can be fully cleansed. When we confess our sins, God will faithfully forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. It depends not on our effort but on God's grace. Just a heartfelt "Please forgive me" brings cleansing.
(Marie E. DisBrow)


O God, help us to be aware of our inner condition and to turn to you for forgiveness and cleansing. Amen.

I'm also reflecting on Welded rest...from Ann

I've gotten so behind on posting...wanted to share this picture-Jesse Ray attended a birthday party at the movies. All the Jedi had a blast. They viewed the newest Star Wars movie. I was pretty impressed. They managed to created the entire movie using only one ugly word. Could've done without that "one", but I'm just thankful the entire movie wasn't bleeped!
So, here's Jesse Ray and Moses...




No comments: