Dear God, show us the road
that you have chosen for us,
and give us the courage
to walk down it... Amen

Monday, July 21, 2008

God calls out in every difficult moment...offering peace

Thomas answered him, "My Lord and my God!" Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe."
-John 20:28 -29


Late in 1992 my father lay in the hospital, dying of cancer. One day as my wife and I drove to the hospital to visit him, I was extremely emotional. My father's illness had affected me deeply.

Entering his ward and seeing him lying there with all the tubes protruding from his body, I began to sob uncontrollably. My wife, mother, and sister tried to comfort me, to no avail. I left the room and sat alone for a while, praying to God to give me peace. I had not prayed in quite a while, but all of a sudden I felt absolute calm come over me. I stopped crying and went back to my father's room. I thanked him for everything he had done for the family and me, and I told him I loved him. I left my father not knowing this was the last time I would see him alive. As I walked out, I started crying again. Was that tranquil moment in between just a coincidence? No. God gave me peace to make that last moment with my father joyous.

This was to be the start of my journey with God. In March, 1993, I gave my life to God, and through faith my life has changed forever.
Shaun McHardy (South Africa)

Thank you, God, for being with us through good and bad times and for always loving us.

No comments: