Dear God, show us the road
that you have chosen for us,
and give us the courage
to walk down it... Amen

Monday, July 7, 2008

It is written, You shall worship the Lord your God, and only him shall you serve...


And just as it was for Jesus, baptism (no matter how old we are) is the beginning of our ministries. The Prayer Book tells us what that ministry is. The mission of the church, the mission of the Body of Christ, is to "restore all people to unity with God and each other in Christ." That is our ministry. It is a ministry we can fulfill only as a community, as the Body of Christ in this time and this place.




Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John, to be baptized by him. John would have prevented him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?" But Jesus answered him, "Let it be so now; for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness." Then he consented. And when Jesus was baptized, he went up immediately from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and alighting on him; and lo, a voice from heaven, saying, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased."
Matthew 3:13-16

I'm thinking back...last August as my Uncle John, (a retired minister), baptized Cody in the river...My heart is overjoyed...still at the significance of that day.
(please note that I am merely reflecting on what baptism is to me and my family...each of us has our own belief about this ministry...we are one with God)


Lord, help us to remember that no matter what happens, you are always ready to be our guide as we pray, "Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one." Amen. (Janet George - England)

1 comment:

Gathering Hope said...

I love that picture, I'd love to
get baptized again at the river's edge.
Love to you
deena