Dear God, show us the road
that you have chosen for us,
and give us the courage
to walk down it... Amen

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Busy without God

As [the two followers of Jesus] talked and discussed, Jesus himself drew near and walked along with them; they saw him, but somehow did not recognize him. -Luke 24:15-16


The two disciples walking on the road to Emmaus were so busy in their thoughts and in their discussion that they did not recognize Jesus when he began to walk with them. How this story reminds me of my walk with Jesus!

As a Christian leader and trainer, I often find myself extremely busy in ministry, training ministers in spiritual formation and Christian leadership. Recently, though, I have realized that in doing so much work "in the name of God," I have neglected a basic element in my own life of faith: intimacy with God and growth in my personal spiritual formation.

When we become busy in our "doing" for God and forget to spend time in God's presence with scripture and prayer, we will find ourselves becoming tired and frustrated with our work. In our ministry for Christ, we miss Christ's ministry to us.

I have learned that I need to have intimate times with God constantly, even as I go about doing things for God. My Christian service has changed for the better as I have prayed, "Lord, help me and lead me as I daily serve you."
(Sammy N. Gumbe)

Faithful God, help us to be constantly aware of your presence. We seek your love and your wisdom as we spend our days serving you and those you call us to love. In Jesus' name. Amen.


(Mark with the silly witchy hat)

(Lyndsee & Blake with new teeth)

(Jesse-Ray, Anna, Brody, Brett)

(Cody with Mason & Arielle)

(Silly teenagers playing with magnetics)

It's grand to have such great friends...

No comments: