Dear God, show us the road
that you have chosen for us,
and give us the courage
to walk down it... Amen

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Burdened

Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. -Isaiah 55:1

As I awoke this morning with darkness in my heart, I find today's devotion comforting...
Dear Lord, you are our refuge in good and in bad times. In your infinite mercy, bring peace and comfort to those of us who face days sometimes filled with pain and depression. Help us to realize that through you there is joy and the promise of lasting peace. Help us through the rough times. Walk before and beside us so that we may walk in your footsteps and reach out to you in our journey on this earth. Help us to focus on our blessings rather than our misfortunes, dear Lord. Thank you for hearing and answering our prayers. Amen


My high-school wrestling coach from years ago intended our two-hour practices to make us not only stronger but also tougher. And tough meant one thing: no water breaks. As I pushed myself to complete one more drill, practice one more move, and challenge one more opponent, my cotton-lined mouth drove me to steal wistful glances at what stood at the far end of our practice room: the water fountain. I knew thirst, and I could think of little else but water.

Isaiah reminds us that we also thirst spiritually. Our deep needs and complete inability to meet them on our own constantly drive us toward relationship with God. Like parched athletes beset by trials, we steal wistful glances at the eternal life God has promised. When I honestly face the disappointments of life, I become free to accept God's offer of grace. God quenches my thirst.

I rarely think about the dry-mouthed feeling I had in those wrestling practices when I attend church. That community meets my need for connection. Volunteering in ministry meets my need for purpose. Relevant Bible teaching meets my need for insight. With so much spiritual water available, who could be thirsty?
(Paul Taylor)

Dear God, help us to bravely face difficulties. As we admit our thirst, teach us to turn to you with our longings. In Jesus' name. Amen.


No comments: