Dear God, show us the road
that you have chosen for us,
and give us the courage
to walk down it... Amen

Monday, September 22, 2008

Room for God

Wait for the Lord and keep his way. -Psalm 37:34

Anxiously I await the mid term report...though Jesse-Ray has always been "right on track", and I've never given his academic abilities a second thought...this year...this year is different. Independent, they tell us. He must be independent. Organizational skills should be at the top of the list. He's lacking, inmature. He's a Scientist brain, in a little boys heart. He learns too much, too fast. He wants to run and play and just be. Barely five when he started school, the teacher said academically he's ready, but he is still very much a "little" boy. So...can we have both. I worry and stress, what will he forget today, will he rush through his work and have low scores...I feel heavy, I give to "HIM", yet I keep, selfishly. I am not "making time for him". When I keep it, the worry, stress, I am not trusting Him. And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
Now, a sigh of relief...I realize, how selfish I've been. Had the outcome been different, I would accept it...the world won't end if he doesn't stay on top. These grades...quiet a bit lower than last years, but I am well pleased. I am more pleased that My God cares for Jesse Ray. In a way I can never compare.

Dear Lord, in the midst of my chaos and selfish ways, help me to make room for you.

from the upper room-
The company I work for has an internship program with a local high school. One day I was working with a young man from this program, trying to explain a complicated computer problem to him. He kept interrupting me, finishing my sentences with what he thought I was going to say. But often he was wrong, and his interruptions made my explanation longer and more complicated than it had to be.

As I reflected on our conversation, I realized that I often treat God the same way. In my anxiety to be in control, I often fail to stop and listen in order to hear what God would have me do. Like my intern, I often end up having to backtrack and consider what God was trying to get through to me in the first place. If I don't slow down and give God the chance to work in me, I make my life more difficult.

Learning when to listen and when to act, leaving room for the Holy Spirit to move in our life, is something that we learn through an active relationship with God. The key is to cultivate openness with God that makes our whole heart available to God. And if we are patient, God's work will be completed in us, at the appointed time.
(Michael Albanese)

Loving God, help us to open our hearts to you so that we may live for you and bring glory to your name. Amen.

1 comment:

Farmhouse Blessings said...

What a profound reflection, Sherry. This is an area that I really struggle with. I need to learn to just be still. Thank you for such encouragement.

Blessings,
Lea