Dear God, show us the road
that you have chosen for us,
and give us the courage
to walk down it... Amen

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Glory

Moses said to the Lord, "Now show me your glory."
-Exodus 33:18

I enjoy picking up my 10-year-old, Emily, after school. She wants me to be near the front of the carpool line when school dismisses. One day I asked why it was important that I be among the first in line. Her response was that when she walks out of the school, she can see me in line and know for certain that I am there. She needs the reassurance of seeing me.

In this passage, Moses was a bit like my Emily. He needed reassurance. Moses was a brave leader, a committed follower of God, but he was weary. Although he knew that God was with him, he needed reassurance.

We have likely been through periods in our lives when we believed God was there, but we needed reassurance because our experience didn't make us sure of God's presence. In disappointment, grief, or anxiety about a decision to be made, we long to see God.

Like Moses, we can ask, pouring out our need to see and to know God's presence in our lives. Moses models for us boldness in unashamed, honest prayer. God heard Moses and responded, and God will do the same for us. Reassurance may come through the love of a friend, the beauty of the natural world, a song on the radio, or an unexpected call that encourages us. We can ask for assurance and then watch for God's response.
(Sharon Allred Decker)



O God, "show me your glory." Amen.

1 comment:

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Such a beautiful reflection. I'm so thankful for the many times that God has made himself known to me when I need it most.

Blessings,
Lea